Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Wintertime Portals in Maine

"You never know what goes on behind closed doors." What a cliché, but oh, so true.

I’m a southerner, so naturally I always envisioned people up north snuggling with their families on the other side of those doors. Cozy fires warmed their homes while mugs of hot chocolate warmed their insides on cold winter days.

After I moved to Maine, I found northerners do so much more than my romanticized notions. Many Mainers cross-country ski, snowshoe and even ice fish in extreme weather. I have yet to experience any of these activities, but put a camera in my hand, and I’m out the door in a nanosecond.

During the month of January, I ventured outside several days to take pictures of snow-covered doorways. It just seemed like a cool thing to do. Many times, I just lowered the car window, held up my camera, and focused on a door in my viewfinder.

So, without further ado, here are some wintertime portals that caught my eye. 
Red door in Hallowell, Maine

Christmas wreaths hang on the front doors
of a typical New England church.
Simply rustic
The shadow of the tree draws the eye to this door.
Some entryways need a little work. Yet, with all the brokenness on the outside, 
a family has most likely made a home on the inside. 
Side entrance to a church in Old Orchard Beach, Maine
My town's only firehouse
Farm animals find shelter on the other side of this barn door.


No comments:

Post a Comment