Friday, February 6, 2015

There's a Bat in My Bedroom!

Early this morning, Reggie, my cat, catapulted himself onto my bed and tumbled over me.

My eyes flew open from the rude awakening. Uh-oh. Something was flying around my bedroom.

"What in the world!" My heart began to race.

I thought it was a bird, but there wasn't the sound of flapping wings that you hear when one is trying to get out of a room. All I heard and felt were the soft landings of the cat bouncing up and down on the bed. 

"A bat!" I threw the bedspread over my head.
The bat perched on top of my bedroom curtain.
The pointed thing is the tip of a wing. To the left, you see his claws.
I hoped the uninvited fellow would go away if I hid under the blanket, but he didn't. My rapid breathing felt like it was keeping pace with my pounding heart rate. I'd never been up-close and personal with a bat before.

Reggie didn't give a hoot that I was terrified. He just continued jumping, trying to paw the beast.

With my nerves all in a tizzy, I threw off the covers, ducked my head and dashed out of the room. Looking over my shoulder, I saw the bat still whirling around the bedroom.

What a dilemma. I didn't know what to do. In my frantic state of mind, I decided to "get out of Dodge." Never in human history has there ever been a woman who threw on clothes, put on makeup, and ran out the door in no time flat.

Poor Reggie never even got a cuddle good-bye.

In the end, the landlord's wife took care of business. She went to my apartment and captured the creepy critter with her hat, of all things. She released him out the bedroom window, and he flew away.

I just hope there aren't anymore bats under my bed.
Another view from a distance.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristi,

      The attics of these colonial-era buildings have access to each other since they are connected like row homes. Bats live in attics here. They can fit through the smallest slits, with some leading to the next level below.

      Or maybe it was just a fluke with my bat. There is a door at the bottom of my stairwell that leads outside. People have left that door wide open when they go to the food market on the ground floor.

      My bat could have come through that open door, flown up the stairs, and slid under the one-inch gap between the threshold and my apartment door.

      Delete
    2. Kristi,
      Sorry, but I accidentally deleted your question about how the bat entered my place. However, I didn't delete my reply to your inquiry.

      Delete