Tuesday, January 3, 2012

A very interesting and unusual start to my New Year

10:30 PM – I arrive home on New Year’s Eve after going out to dinner with a friend.

11:00 PM – My head hits the pillow.

1:00 AM – The young-adult son living with his father in the apartment downstairs pounds on their door. Their dog starts barking. The son knocks sporadically for the next half hour. The dog becomes more anxious with each passing minute.

1:30 AM – I lean over my balcony rail to tell him his dad is not home.

1:31 AM – Young man responds, “Yes he is. He’s asleep.”

1:32 AM – I say, “No, he isn’t. His car isn’t parked in its space right outside your door.” I go back to bed.

2:00 AM – Young man knocks on my door.  He asks to use my phone because he locked his keys in his car. I have a steak knife in my hand that is out of sight on the other side of the door… just in case. After talking with his father on my cell, he goes to the workout room in our apartment complex to wait for his dad. Their dog begins making odd noises that sound like scratching on the wall.

3:00 AM – I’m still awake, so I insert earplugs hoping to get a little more shut-eye.

4:00 AM – I look out my window to see the dad’s car parked in its regular spot. I never heard him arrive home since my hearing was blocked by the earplugs that are now irritating my ear canals.

5:55 AM – I climb out of bed, take a shower, and dress to start my long day. I never did fall back to sleep.

7:15 AM –My eyes are bloodshot from sleep deprivation. What a way to arrive for the technical arts assignment I volunteered for at church this morning.

Hey, it’s a story to tell! And I know humor is hidden in there somewhere.

Despite the unusual start to my New Year, I know something awesome will occur this year. I’m looking forward to whatever good things God has in store for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment