Saturday, June 27, 2015

Afternoon Jaunt to Southern Maine Coast


One of the perks of my job is working only a half day on Fridays during the summer. And there’s no better way to enjoy that perk than with a camera in hand and a destination in mind.

On a recent Friday, my afternoon destination included Old Orchard Beach.

The last time I visited that coastal town was in the dead of winter. By chance, I happened to photograph a surfer walking along the shoreline just beyond a snow-covered beach. What's unique about that scene is how the design of his surfboard resembles the reflection of the pier pilings in the standing water.

My intent on this recent June afternoon was to photograph that same pier from a different vantage point in the summertime.

After snapping the photo above, I took a stroll on the pier and spotted one of the most notorious Caribbean buccaneers from the 1600s. Sir Henry Morgan, a.k.a. "Captain Morgan."

As I scanned the beach from my perch on the pier, a nearby Ferris wheel had me reminiscing about a vacation at the Jersey shore years ago. I can’t recall the name of the town, but I do remember riding a rollercoaster at the boardwalk and eating typical beach fare.

Ferris wheel at Old Orchard Beach, Maine
Talking about food, is there any better way to take in a beach scene than by relaxing on the deck of an oceanfront eatery? A fruity beverage and a tasty lobster roll hit the spot.


After that late lunch, I hopped in my car to head back home. But first, I decided to do a little sightseeing in the town of South Portland. Spring Point Ledge Light, which resembles a spark plug, opened in 1897 at the shoreline of Fort Preble. Both the lighthouse and fort provided a perfect photo opportunity.

Spring Point Ledge Light on Casco Bay - South Portland, Maine

Rampart of Fort Preble - South Portland, Maine.
The fort was a bit player in the War of 1812 
and saw action during the Civil War.

View through a cannon port at Fort Preble - South Portland, Maine
However, a pesky drone had a different idea for a photo op. The antagonist kept hovering overhead. I assumed it was capturing video footage that included me. Using the same method of intimidation, I pointed my camera at the little booger. Immediately, it flew away!

Well, I’ll sign off for now and leave you with an image of a summertime portal.

Saco, Maine

Until next time…


No comments:

Post a Comment