Sunday, April 19, 2015

Washington, D.C.’s Cherry Blossoms

My main reason for visiting our nation’s capitol last week was to photograph the cherry blossom trees. The goal was to capture their beauty from one of the iconic Tidal Basin vantage points.

In 1912, many of the trees were given as a gift to our country by the Japanese.

The blossoms bloom at their peak for only a short span of time during the spring, so I visited Washington, D.C. after the conclusion of the National Cherry Blossom Festival.
U.S. Capitol Building in the distance

Cherry blossom trees with pink and
white blooms lining a pathway.

For various reasons, I was unable to photograph the trees with a view of the Tidal Basin. However, I snapped many photos at the Hirshhorn Museum’s Sculpture Garden next to the National Mall.
Beyond the cherry-blossom clusters is a view of
The Burghers of Calais sculpture in the Hirshhorn Museum garden.

Front view of The Burghers of Calais sculpture

I hope you enjoyed viewing these pictures as much as I did taking them. I'll leave you with a parting shot of the Washington Monument. Farewell for now, or as they say in Japanese, Sayonara. 



No comments:

Post a Comment