Thursday, January 24, 2013

Another Fork in the Road


Grueling. Unsettling. Letdown.

Do those three words describe your job search? A grueling and unsettling predicament filled with letdowns.

Five years ago when I took the first step in pursuing my God-given writing talent, little did I know the many forks in the road that I would encounter.

So many unknowns bombarded my thoughts such as what kind of writer I should become.

Should I be a novelist? A blogger? A newspaper reporter? Or a magazine writer? I also considered what type of business or industry my writing could benefit.

And so, after graduating with a journalism degree, I finally felt confident with my academic credentials to make it as a writer.

Yet now, here I stand at a new fork in the road. Not really a new fork, but a very familiar one.

Which path do I take? The one that lands me a job that uses my past work experiences and enables me to support myself? Or the one where I pursue my passion for writing? A career field laden with starving artists.

As I said, the daily job search has been grueling. A letdown when potential jobs haven’t panned out. And unsettling not knowing what my future holds.

Grueling. Letdown. Unsettling. There are those three words, again.

However, I’ve heard it said you may not know what your future holds, but at least you know Who holds your future. 

As a Christian, I know this to be true. God has my back, and He has yours, too. He also encourages us not to be afraid at least a hundred times in the scriptures.

In the mean time, be still and wait patiently on the Lord. Bloom where you are planted while preparing yourself for His next endeavor for you. He will direct your paths. (Proverbs 3:6) He will open doors no one can shut. (Revelation 3:8)

Follow the divine nudges at those forks in the road.

And wait patiently for the Lord's perfect timing for the job He has in store.

“Do not be afraid. Stand still, and see the salvation of the Lord, which He will accomplish for you....” – Exodus 14:13

No comments:

Post a Comment