Wednesday, July 18, 2012

The Orange Koi and Albino Turtle

Have your legs ever turned cold from sitting too long? Even in the middle of summer?

That’s what happened to me earlier today. And although the temperature outside is in the mid 90s, the Dallas heat does nothing to ward off the chill. That’s because since early this morning, I’ve been sitting inside my apartment doing stuff online. Granted, I haven’t moved around in the last hour, but having the thermostat set at 68 degrees doesn’t help my chilled extremities.

So, I do what any writer who sits too long does. I go for a walk.

As I make my way to White Rock Lake, my skin soaks up the warmth of the sun, helping my legs to thaw.

I live near the spillway on the south side, so in five minutes I’m on the path that circles around the lake. I head up another sidewalk sandwiched between the spillway and an old fish hatchery—most Dallasites don’t even know it exists.

Finally, I arrive at the top of the dam and take in the view across the lake. I pick up my pace and veer left toward the Old Filter House on the far side of the levee.

Turtle heads the size a human thumbs stick-up out of the water. Looking down from my vantage point, I see their Frisbee-size shells beneath the water’s surface and surmise they only like sunning their skulls. Not far from where their heads bob up and down, grayish-color fish feed on the algae at the base of the dam.

An orange movement beside them catches my eye. A kind of translucent, tangerine hue. The only place I’ve ever seen fish that color, size and shape are in garden ponds. You know the kind of pond you linger by outside a Japanese restaurant?
As I continue my walk, I wonder if someone released their aquarium pet into this reservoir. My mind imagines that over time, an ugly gray fish “mated” with a beauty just like the one I saw. Could it be the offspring of such a spawn? Hmm.

Twenty minutes into my exercise, I reach the end of the levee and pivot to retrace my steps. A cyclist is stopped 50 yards ahead peering into the lake. I know he’s looking at the orange fish. He resumes his bike trek toward me. As we meet, I ask if he saw them. He tells me they are Koi, a species of carp. The man isn’t sure how they ended up in the lake either. We say our farewells and I continue on my way.

Another unusual sight stops me in my tracks. One of the bobbing turtle heads is a milky color. Unless this is part of the reptile molting his skin, I believe I’ve just encountered an albino turtle. I stare, amazed. Where is my smart phone when I need it? Quickly, the little guy dives deep, out of sight.

I never see such things when riding my bike around the path. Pedaling at a faster pace leaves no chance of catching those rare flashes of orange. Or albino white. Today God blessed me with nature’s oddities.

But then, maybe those aquatic creatures think I’m the oddball. Walking on a hot Texas day at three o’clock in the afternoon. In 95-degree weather no less. With a toddler-size, pink backpack strapped across my shoulders.

I sure do wish I had a picture of that turtle, but at least my legs aren’t cold anymore.

Don’t ask if my smart phone was in the backpack.

No comments:

Post a Comment