Sunday, May 27, 2012

Joggers Couldn't Slow My Pace


I didn’t stick to the plan. What plan is that you might ask? The one I blogged about earlier this month. Let me tell both new and previous visitors why I didn’t adhere to it.

I avoid riding my bike around White Rock Lake on Saturday mornings. The crowds won’t allow for a steady pace at that time of day. My aim is to ride only on weekdays, but I missed the last couple of days and just had to get back out there. Besides, I needed to work off the calories I consumed in the last 48 hours. I surmised that beginning my ride at 6 a.m. would be better than starting off two hours later.

By a fluke, I woke up at 4:30 this Saturday morning. However, I got sidetracked and didn’t leave my place until 6:45. As I rode, I encountered a few walkers, runners and cyclists. My heart rate increased as I pedaled uphill within the first five minutes. I felt exhilaration.

A fisherman stood in his boat flicking his line, his silhouette beautiful against the backdrop of ripples glistening on the water. The morning sun cast a serene glow across the lake as the surrounding landscape slowly came to life. My soul was at peace.

I followed the path around to where it borders the Dallas Arboretum. Botanical scents mingled with the gentle breeze. Aah. What could be more rejuvenating than exercising in such a perfect setting?

Then it happened, suddenly. Joggers appeared out of nowhere in abundance.

No matter what direction you’re headed on the path, you follow the normal flow of traffic in the right lane. Many of the oncoming runners were in their left lane. From my vantage point, that’s their wrong side and my right side!

I weaved in and out of the pedestrians and other cyclists as I pedaled toward the Bath House Cultural Center. At one point, a group of joggers spanned the entire width of the bike path. Did they not read the signs detailing the proper etiquette while using the path? Flinging up my arm, I hoped they would see I was exasperated. Thankfully, they parted like the Red Sea, allowing me to pass through.

The bike path doubles as a seldom-used road near the Bath House. As I approached that Dallas landmark, cars lined both sides of the street. Banners showcasing the name of an athletic retailer alerted me I was in the midst of some sort of group race or run.

I resumed my pace after passing the Bath House crowd and knew I’d meet up with the runners en masse again. Sure enough, the head of the pack came into view near the Mount Vernon mansion. However, this time I avoided the swarm by biking on the street that runs parallel to the path.

I’m grateful there were no collisions. And despite the running event, I made it around the lake in 45 minutes—faster than my last time. That speed is slow in comparison to the pace of the cyclists who race. But, hey, I’m building up my endurance. I’ll get there one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment