Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Bikers and Critters and Gnats, Oh My!


Pedaling my bike around White Rock Lake is so much better at sunrise than it is at sunset. At the break of dawn, there are very few, if any, swarms of insects that collide with your sunglasses. And you don’t have to worry about gagging since those pesky gnats aren’t around to be sucked in your mouth.

And in case you didn’t know, speeding through a puddle isn’t a bright idea. Water streams off the front tire and hits you smack-dab in the face. Not a pretty sight. Not at all. Avoid the puddles.

Another thing I enjoy about riding in the early hours is the cooler temperature. Even the animals seem to prefer that time of the day. A squirrel on the concrete surely saw me coming toward him this morning. But the little guy held his ground no more than three feet from my tires as I zoomed by. He was more interested in gnawing on a nut than in a bike barreling down on him. And a mallard and his mate a few inches off the path didn’t blink an eye as they rested in nesting positions. Their feathers didn’t even get ruffled as I whizzed by.
I like also that the bike path is not as crowded on a weekday morning as it is on the weekend. Not as many spandex-clad cyclists hunched over racing at breakneck speed, and not as many pedestrians strolling in the middle of the pathway. That combination on any given Saturday morning is an accident

No comments:

Post a Comment