Wednesday, September 11, 2019

The Cost of Freedom

September 11th


September 11, 2001. A day that lives in infamy for our generation just as December 7, 1941, does for those who were alive during the bombing of Pearl Harbor.

As this September 11 comes to an end, one couldn’t help but notice the multitude of remembrances posted on social media and televised on flat screens. Many of the images are tagged with the line “We will never forget.”

One image in particular caught my eye. It’s of Lady Liberty with the Twin Towers in the background. That photo jogged my memory of a similar one I took a few years back while on a boat tour in New York Harbor.

My son had invited me to the city to meet his love, an Irish girl from County Mayo. Some of my descendants came from County Donegal in Ireland, and I’ve always envisioned their arrival on American soil by way of Ellis Island. Hence, I wanted to visit that national landmark and the Statue of Liberty.


When I snapped the photo above in the summer of 2015, in all honesty I can say that September 11 never crossed my mind. 

However, once I posted it to social media, a friend replied, “I will never get use to seeing that image without the Twin Towers.” 

And the American people will never forget the loss of those in the Twin Towers, in the Pentagon, and on Flight 93 that crashed in a Pennsylvania field. 

The brave Americans on board that flight thwarted the hijackers’ plan to fly the aircraft into another national treasure. The passengers knew they would die yet fought to regain control of the plane. In essence, they fought for our lives and our freedom.

Their sacrifice is comparable to the one given by our Lord, Jesus Christ. He offered His life as a living sacrifice for us. God gave His only Son so that we would be saved.

Would you give your only son for the freedom of others? The families of those brave men on Flight 93 know their loved ones did just that for us. And for that, I am eternally grateful.

Have a blessed day.

“For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.” - John 3:16 

No comments:

Post a Comment